How Do I?
Apply for a …
Law Enforcement Job
Parks Rec. Attendant I
Parks Rec Asst
RECREATION ATTENDANT I
The City of Des Moines believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to our success. This job description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications and job scope. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
Status: Part-time Temporary/Seasonal Position-varying schedule of limited duration, up to 40 hours per week for 4 months and less than 17 hours/week for up to 8 months.
Closing Date: Position Open Until Filled, Applications Screened Continuously
Salary: Part-time Temporary and Seasonal Pay Schedule RANGE II ($9.19-$11.50 DOQ, No Benefits)
Bargaining Unit: Non-Represented
Nature of Work
The Recreation Attendant I will work under the direction of the Recreation Coordinator, Office Manager or designee to provide customer service and office support; facility monitoring and security; and minor custodial/maintenance. Hours vary based upon the program/event schedule (primarily will be late afternoon, evenings and weekends).
Job Duties and Responsibilities
• Assists with patron use of the Department, City, and community facilities where Department programs and events are being held.*
• Provides ongoing indoor/outdoor facility monitoring and security to minimize
• Secures, closes and locks facility when event is complete.*
• Assists facility users/staff with facility set-up and takedown, equipment checkout
and inventory, lost and found, and general site supervision and security.*
• Assists customers with requests and provides information, accepts registrations, collects fees.*
• Attends to injury and incident victims, provides assistance and first aid when needed. Contacts appropriate emergency services (911) if needed.*
• Accurately completes all City/Department forms for supervisory review and action.*
• Assists the Park & Recreation staff with departmental projects as assigned.*
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Ability to handle multiple tasks in a busy office situation.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Word for Windows, Excel, Recreation Registration software.
• Ability to deal with public with poise and tact in sometimes stressful situations.
• Ability to be flexible and self-starting in work assigned.
• Ability to follow directions and work with other employees.
• Ability to read, interpret, direct, and follow rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
• Ability to recognize safety hazards.
Education and Experience
• High School graduate or GED preferred and one year of equivalent work in recreation or a related field.
• Valid Washington State Driver’s License.
• Ability to provide a satisfactory driving abstract.
• Must obtain First Aid/CPR Card within three (3) months of employment.
• Ability to pass Washington State Patrol background check
• Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs., set-up tables/chairs, arrange room equipment, etc.
Environment: Work is primarily performed in an office setting, usually independently. Work performed at multiple locations at various times.
Physical Abilities: Hand-eye coordination and fine manipulation skills are necessary to operate computer. Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs. in order to arrange tables, chairs and room equipment.
Hazards: Contact with dissatisfied or abusive individuals. Responsible for closing and locking facility alone at end of shift.
To Apply: Submit city application form to:
City of Des Moines
Attn: Human Resource Coordinator
21630 11th Avenue South
Des Moines, WA 98198
City application form
May include: formal application, review of education and experience, written response to structured questionnaire, testing, oral interview, reference check, and selection.
The City of Des Moines is an Equal Opportunity Employer and assures equal employment regardless of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national original, sex, age, martial status, or presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability.
Verification of identity and United States work authorization must be completed before employment commences as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act.
The City of Des Moines has a no smoking policy in all City facilities and all City vehicles.
City of Des Moines, WA |
21630 11th Ave. S., Suite A | Des Moines, WA 98198 | Ph: (206) 878-4595
Powered by CivicPlus