Go To Search
HomePrintContact Us
Click to Home
Permit Center
Right of Way Use Permits
Chapter 12.04 of the Des Moines Municipal Code, the City of Des Moines Right of Way Use Code, requires a right of way use permit for any private use of a public right-of-way.

A type C permit authorizes activities that will alter the appearance of or disturb the surface, supersurface, or subsurface of the right of way on a temporary or permanent basis, and includes boring, culverts, street trenching, and utility installation / repair / replacement.

A type D permit authorizes long term and permanent activities for extended periods of time which will not physically disturb the right of way, but involves the use of a right of way for structures, facilities, haul routes and uses that involve capital expenditures and long-term commitments, and includes underground rights and utility facilities.

An estimate of the construction cost must accompany the permit application. Work within the public right of way will be charged a variable permit fee based on a fee schedule approved by the city.


Standard Drawings